A great carrot cake recipe of my dear twin sister Heleen. I have been having this one for years and thought it’s about time I put this one on the web for you also to enjoy 🙂
Carrots have been used in sweet cakes since the medieval period, during which time sweeteners were scarce and expensive, while carrots, which contain more sugar than any other vegetable besides the sugar beet, were much easier to come by and were used to make sweet desserts. The origins of carrot cake are disputed but it is thought to come from Norway.The popularity of carrot cake was probably revived in Britain because of rationing during the Second World War.
Carrot cakes first became commonly available in restaurants and cafeterias in the United States in the early 1960s. They were at first a novelty item, but people liked them so much that carrot cake became standard dessert fare.In 2005, the American-based Food Network listed carrot cake, with its cream-cheese icing, as number five of the top five fad foods of the 1970s.
Carrot cake is often referred to as Passion cake.Carrot cake was voted as the favourite cake in the United Kingdom, according to a survey in the Radio Times in 2011.
Another story indicates that following WWII there was a glut of canned carrots in the U.S.. A business man named George C. Page hired master Bakers to find uses for the cans of carrots. He somehow promoted the idea of carrot cake to help create a demand for the product. It is unclear how he did this, it might have been with a recipe on the side of the cans.
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3 cups shredded carrots
1 cup oil
For the Cream Cheese frosting:
1- 3oz package of cream cheese
2 cups of powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1. Shredd the carrots.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients (1)
3. Then combine all the wet ingredients (2)
4. Mix 1 and 2 together. Put in a bundt mold and bake for 1 hour and 10 min in a 325F oven, or until toothpick comes out clean.
5. Put the cream cheese in the microwave for 30 seconds, add the sugar and vanilla. Spread on the carrot cake. Wait till the cake is cooled down before you put the icing on the cake.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1- 3oz package of cream cheese
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Shredd the carrots.
- Combine all the dry ingredients (1)
- Then combine all the wet ingredients (2)
- Mix 1 and 2 together. Put in a bundt mold and bake for 1 hour and 10 min in a 325F oven, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Put the cream cheese in the microwave for 30 seconds, add the sugar and vanilla. Spread on the carrot cake. Wait till the cake is cooled down before you put the icing on the cake.
*Arrisje’s Recipe Card. Click on the pic below. Save to your hard drive and print as a 4×6 pic.