Smoor Daging is one of the many dishes you can find on a Indonesian/Dutch Rijsttafel buffet. It’s smothered beef in Soya sauce.
- Inexpensive beef
- 8 tbsp Ketjap Manis (sweet soya sauce)
- 1 tsp sambal oelek (chili paste)
- 1 large onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 squirt of lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup of hot water
- diluted cornstarch
- pepper and salt
- Cut up the onion and the beef. Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Fry the meat in 2 tbsp olive oil, when the meat is slightly browned, add the cut up onion and garlic. Add 1 1/2 cup of water and 8 tbsp of Ketjap Manis (sweet soya sauce) and 1 tsp sambal oelek (chili paste). Put the lid on the skillet and simmer for 1 hour, then add a squirt of lemon juice.
- To make the sauce like a thick gravy , mix 1 tbsp cornstarch with 1/3 cup water and pour into the Smoor Daging. Serve over cooked rice.