After you try this recipe Smoked Chicken, you never want to go back to the regular bbq chicken. I guarantee you that. 🙂
- 1 whole chicken butterflied or halved
- Smoking wood chips preferably apple or cherry
- 1-quart apple or orange juice
- 1-quart water
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Put the wood chips in your smoker and turn the smoker on ( mine is gas), by the time you put your bird in the smoker the temp should be around 350F. Butterfly your chicken.
- Whisk together apple juice, water, salt, brown sugar, and molasses until solids have dissolved. Put the chicken in the brine, breast side down, and place in refrigerator for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with paper towels. Season both sides of chicken liberally with your favorite bbq seasoning.
- Place chicken, skin side up, in your smoker. Maintain a temperature around 350 F degrees, until breast meat registers 155 degrees and thigh meat registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat. It took me a good 8 hours to smoke this bird.
- When you happen to have an extra chicken laying around, make this smoked chicken salad.