Spicy Cajun Pasta
I found this recipe as a copy of T.G.I Friday Spicy Cajun Pasta. I made a few changes to it. Instead of adding garlic I added pesto and couldn’t resist to add some Alfredo Sauce. If you want to lower the calories use whole wheat fettuccine noodles and leave the Alfredo Sauce out.
- 2 tbsp (1/4 stick) butter
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 white onion, sliced and quartered (1 cup)
- 2 tbsp prepared pesto
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 6 mushrooms, sliced (1 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup four cheese Alfredo sauce
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 4 to 6 quarts water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 box 12-ounce fettuccine
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Saute the bell peppers, onions, in the butter for 8 to 10 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften slightly. Add the 2 tbsp prepared pesto.
- As the vegetables are cooking, cut the chicken breasts into bite-size pieces. When the vegetables are done, put them in a larger pot. In the same skillet (no need to clean) pour the olive oil in the skillet. When the pan is hot, add the chicken and cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes or until the chicken is done. Add the chicken to the pan with the vegetables.
- Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, chicken stock, cayenne pepper, paprika, white pepper, and thyme. Continue to simmer for 10 to 12 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the four cheese Alfredo sauce. To thicken the sauce add some diluted cornstarch (1tbsp cornstarch to 2 tbsp water).
- In the meantime, bring the water to a boil in a large pot. If you like, add a half tbsp of salt to the water. Cook the fettuccine in the boiling water until done. This will take 10 to 12 minutes.
- Put the noodles on a plate and pour the meat vegetable sauce over the noodles. Top it off with some chopped parsley.
- You can make this dish lower calories by using: chopped garlic instead of the prepared pesto, leave the four cheese Alfredo out, use whole grain wheat.
*Arrisje’s Recipe Card, click on the pic and save to your hard drive. Print as a 4×6 pic*