Rotisserie Cornish Hens
I got this original recipe of Todd’s Secret Recipe. It suppose to be a clone for KFC baked chicken, and I got to say it truly is a tasty dish. The only change I made was to leave the msg out,added brown sugar to the brine, and used my rotisserie machine.
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Cornish hens
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder (Knorr brand is best)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse grind black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dissolve the salt and brown sugar in the water to make the marinade (brine). Add the chicken, cover and chill for exactly 2 hours. Whisk together the oil, liquid smoke, and soy sauce in a small bowl. Combine all of the ingredients for the seasoning in a small bowl. When the chicken has marinated, rinse each piece of chicken with water and blot dry.
- Brush oil over one side of each piece of chicken. Sprinkle the seasoning over the oiled side of each piece of chicken, then flip each piece, brush with oil again and sprinkle on more seasoning.
- If you own a rotisserie use it like I did. Put the rotisserie on for 1 hr and 10 min. If you don’t own one you can still make it in your oven. Just a bit more work for you.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, or 325 degrees F if you have a convection oven. Brush some of the leftover oil solution onto an oven-safe grill pan or grill plate. Set the pan over medium heat, and when the oil begins to smoke, place the chicken skin-side-down on the pan. Cook the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes or until the skin begins to brown and grill marks form on the chicken, then flip the chicken and cook it for another 1 to 2 minutes. Pop the grill pan into the oven for 20 minutes, then flip each piece of chicken and bake for another 20 minutes, or until the surface of the chicken is golden brown, and the chicken is cooked through.
*Arrisje’s Recipe Card. Click on pic below and save to your hard drive. Print as a 4×6 pic*