Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- 3/4 cup dry wild rice, rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 strips thick-sliced bacon, diced
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp chicken base
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tsp. minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Simmer the wild rice in water in a saucepan, covered, over medium heat until grains are tender and start to split open, about 45 minutes. Remove rice from heat and drain any excess liquid.
- Simmer the chicken breast in water with 1 tbsp of chicken base, till done. Shred the chicken.
- Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crisp; reserve drippings. Drain bacon on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Add mushrooms to the bacon drippings; saute over medium-high heat until soft, 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add onion, carrot, and celery. Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute.Add the sherry, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in broth.
- Put all in a large pot add the cooked wild rice, chicken, and thyme. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Add milk, cream,and bacon; season with salt and pepper. Gently simmer soup, without allowing it to boil, until heated through.