Chicken Pot Pie
Forget those frozen Chicken pot pies. Making them yourself is not that hard. Before you know it you be making on a regular base.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- ¼ cup carrot, chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2½ cups milk
- 1 tbsp “Better Than Bullion” chicken base
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten slightly with a fork
- Let the puff pastry thaw, so it’s easy to unfold.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt the butter over medium heat add the onion, celery, carrot and salt. When the vegetables are translucent add the flour and cook for about 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk.
- Add 1 tsp better then bouillon, add the thyme and white pepper. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to low then add the chicken and peas. I forgot to make a pic adding the peas 😉
- Pour chicken mixture into a 9 x 9 baking dish. Cut puff pastry into 12 equal strips. Lay puff pastry strips over chicken mixture, weaving it together to form a lattice pattern. Using a pastry brush, brush egg onto the top of the puff pastry. Bake for 30-35 minutes. The puff pastry will be a deep golden brown color. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.