Chicken Parmesan, chicken parmigiana, or (Italian Pollo alla parmigiana) is a popular Italian dish. It is made up of a chicken breast covered in bread crumbs and topped with tomato sauce and mozzarella. The chicken may be baked or fried. It is always served over spaghetti. Some variations of the traditional recipe may call for the use of Parmigiano-Reggiano (parmesan cheese) in addition to, or as a substitute for, mozzarella. This may reflect a confused belief that the dish is so-named because it contains Parmesan cheese; in fact both the dish and the cheese are (separately) named for the Parma region of Italy.
The “Parma” in Australia is a very popular pub meal often served with a beer. for normally $10 AUD you can buy a “pot n’ Parma” for lunch. In some Australian states groups of Chicken Parmigiana eaters have started clubs such as CPAS (Chicken Parma Appreciation Society). These groups are mostly male dominated.
I made this dish with Alfredo Sauce and Marinara Sauce. Which ever one you prefer they are both delicious.
- 1 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs, if you don’t have that just use the regular bread crumbs and add 1 tbsp Italian seasonings
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp red pepper
- 3 boneless chicken breasts and cut in half.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups of Tomato Sauce like marinara sauce or get the tomatoes out of a can.
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine breadcrumbs, flour, and ground red pepper in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Cut the chicken breast in 2. Place chicken in ziplock bag, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness, using a meat mallet or whatever works for you.
- Dip 1 chicken breast in egg, and coat with breadcrumb mixture. Dip again in egg mixture, and coat again in breadcrumb mixture.
- Cook chicken in hot olive oil over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until done.
- Put 1 cup of tomato sauce in the pan and place chicken breasts in a single layer in the baking dish. Top evenly with parmesan cheese, then tomato Sauce. Top it off with mozarella cheese. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until cheeses melt.
*Arrisje’s Recipe Card. Click on the pick below. Save on your hard drive and print as a 4×6 picture*