BBQ Black Beans
Black beans are a type of small legume with a glossy black shell they are also known as turtle beans, caviar criollo, and frijoles negros. These beans date back at least 7,000 years, when they were a staple food in the diets of Central and South Americans. Black beans provide special support for digestive tract benefits, benefits for bloodsugar regulation and cardiovascular benefits.
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans (with liquid)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 3tbsp bacon fat (from the 2 to 3 pieces cooked bacon)
- 2 to 3 cooked bacon chopped
- 2tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp minced canned green chiles
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat.
- When the mixture begins to bubble, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30-45 minutes. If you like to have the liquid thick add some diluted cornstarch.